FREDERICK -- Town officials made a disaster declaration Thursday afternoon following a day and night of torrential rain. It clears the way for federal, state and county funds to assist in the clean-up.
It didn't stop the potential problems, though. Pre-evacuation notices are up for an area south of state Highway 119 to Bella Rosa Parkway and west from I-25 to Aggregate Boulevard, or Weld County Road 7.
"This means anyone living in this area should be prepared to evacuate in the event of a mandatory evacuation," said a post on Frederick's Facebook page. "Flooding continues to increase. Anyone in low-lying areas such as residents in Rinn Valley are recommended to voluntarily evacuate now if possible. Evacuation centers are set up at Mead High School (12750 CR 7) and Erie Rec Center 450 Powers St."
The weather service posted a flash-flood warning for nearby Boulder County until 7:30 p.m.
The culprit is heavy monsoon rains that parked over the tri towns last night and this morning. Up to 6 inches of rain fell overnight, and more is expected tonight and tomorrow. The Carbon Valley Emergency Operations Center was activated early in the morning. Reverse 911 calls were made about 5:30 a.m. to urge residents to stay off the streets and to find shelter.
The evacuation center is at Mead High School, 12750 Weld County Road 7. for non-emergencies, resources or evacuation shuttles, call the Carbon Valley Emergency Operations Center at 303-833-2742.
As of 2 p.m., area road closures include:
1. Firestone Blvd. from I-25 to Cimarron St.
2. Sable (CR 22) from I-25 to Colorado Blvd.
3. Bella Rosa Parkway (CR 20) from I-25 to Colorado Blvd.
4. Colorado Blvd. from Grant Ave. (CR 18) to Pine Cone Ave. (CR 20)
5. Gooding Hollow (CR 18) from Miller to Eagle
6. Tipple Parkway (CR 16) from I-25 to Silver Birch Blvd. (CR 11)
7. All exits on I-25 at Highway 119
8. Colorado Blvd. from Grand View Blvd. (CR 12) to CR 8
9. Colorado Blvd. from Grand View Blvd. (CR 12) to CR 8
10. Frontier St. (CR 15) from CR 10 to Highway 52
11. Frontier St. (CR 15) from Highway 52 to CR 6
12. Grand View Blvd. (CR 12) from Silver Birch (CR 11) to Mt. Albert
13. Grand View Blvd. (CR 12) from Glen Creighton to CR 15
14. CR 10 from I-25 Frontage to CR 11
15. East I-25 Frontage Road closed from Highway 52 to Commerce
16. Colorado Blvd. from CR 26 to Highway 66
17. CR 26 closed from Colorado Boulevard in both east and west directions.
"Most major roads out of the area are impassable," according to the town of Frederick's Facebook page. "Please do not travel in the area. Several vehicles and people are stranded on flooded roadways, which is stressing our resources."
The fire district also says to contact Community Service Officer Michelle Powers (303-419-8747) with questions about displaced animals.
As of 6:15 a.m., the list of road closures in Firestone looks like this ...
Bella Rosa Pkwy (CR 20) from West I-25 Frontage Road to Aggregate Blvd (CR 7); and Aggregate Blvd (CR 7) from SH 119 to Godding Hollow Pkwy (CR 18).
Frederick High School students will get a second day off Friday, Sept. 13, thanks to the late-summer showers that beat down across the Front Range this week.
Principal Pete Vargas said extracurricular acities were canceled Sept. 13, too. The school's cross country team was supposed to be at the Liberty Bell Invitational in Littleton, one of the major events in the cross country season. Frederick's football team is scheduled to look for its first win at Berthoud at 1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 14. The soccer team lost two games to the weather this week, and FHS' volleyball match at Erie was rained out Thursday night.
We'll post more advisories and public safety information as necessary.